Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Theology & Doxology From Thomas Watson


For quite some time now I have been trying to read a theology book for at least 1half an hour of every day. By a theology book I don't mean a book that is theological; I am referring to a book who's main purpose is to teach theology. For example during this half-hour I have read chapters out of Wayne Grudem's Systematic, Louis Berkhof's Systematic, and sections from Calvin's Institutes of Christian Religion. Right now I am working through Thomas Watson's A Body of Divinity, which started out as sermons he preached on the Westminster Catechism. In many ways it is like a systematic theology though not technically one. I have been so blessed through my reading that I thought I would share some quotes from Watson.

"To glorify God is to have God-admiring thoughts; to esteem him most excellent, and search for diamonds in this rock only."

"A humble confession exalts God. How is God's free grace magnified in crowning those who deserve to be condemned!"

"In prayer we act like men; in praise we act like angels"

"God is perfect, the quintessence of good. He is sweetness in the flower....There is a certain sweetness about God's person which delights, nay, rather ravishes the soul."

"Obedience is an excellent way of commenting upon the Bible."

"If God be infinite, filling heaven and earth, see what a full portion the saints have; they have him for their portion who is infinite. His fullness is an infinite fullness; and he is infinitely sweet, as well as infinitely full."

"God's glory lies chiefly in his attributes, which are the several beams by which the divine nature shines forth."

"We are not elected for holiness, but to holiness"

I will post more as these are a sampling of the first 75 pages. I love the puritans because, better than anyone else, they understood the intersection that must take place between theology and worship (by worship I mean living in obedience to Christ Romans 12).

No comments: